[R-pkg-devel] Using the amsmath package in a vignette.

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Thu Mar 4 03:51:28 CET 2021

I am trying to create a vignette in a package (basically just using
LaTeX code; no R calculations or data are involved).

The LaTeX code involves the use of the align* environment from
the amsmath package.  When I try to run Sweave() on the *.Rnw file
I get a corresponding *.tex file, but then when I run pdflatex on
that file I get an error:

> ! LaTeX Error: Command \iint already defined.
>                Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual.
>
> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.649 ...d{\iint}{\DOTSI\protect\MultiIntegral{2}}

which is completely opaque to me.

If I don't have \usepackage{amsmath} in the *.Rnw file, I get
(unsurprisingly) an error message to the effect that the align*
environment is undefined.

Is there any way to make use of amsmath facilities in a vignette?

Alternatively, is there any way to simply use the pdf output obtained
by processing an ordinary LaTeX file as a vignette?  I have done a
bit of web searching on this, but all of the hits that I get seem to be
substantially out of date.  They refer to putting vignettes in
/inst/doc and I'm pretty sure that this is no longer how it's done.
(But I find all of the vignette business rather bewildering and
confusing.)

Grateful for any advice.

cheers,

Rolf Turner