[R-pkg-devel] C++11 requirements for package dependencies

Mon Nov 30 18:13:37 CET 2020

On 30 November 2020 at 11:54, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
| On 30/11/2020 11:31 a.m., Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >
| > On 30 November 2020 at 11:27, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
| > | I think that C++11 isn't a requirement of RcppArmadillo, it's an option
| >
| > It is as of the 10.* series of Armadillo and hence RcppArmadillo 0.10.*
|
| I was going to complain that you should include SystemRequirements:
| C++11, but on reading more closely, your Makevars.in specifies this in a
| different way.  So I guess the issue is with the Github Actions setup,
| which didn't spot the requirement.

Correct!  These are two different, and distinct, issues.

- CRAN checks for and uses _current_ packages with r-release and r-devel.
  C++11 is already a standard. Hence no change.

- OP had a problem because of a CI system that turns on older R versions for
  him. RcppArmadillo is a depends. And while RcppArmadillo has long allowed
  C++11, the (newer) dependency does not bubble up backwards from a dependee
  to the compiling package.  Hence the need to do it just as WRE describes.

| Sorry for the noise...

No worries.

Dirk

--