[R-pkg-devel] CRAN pending status , left up in the air

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom e||ect|vede|en@e@org
Mon Oct 19 19:05:21 CEST 2020

On 2020-10-19 10:34, Rafael H. M. Pereira wrote:
> Thank you  Dirk and Hugo for your responses. I guess I'll just have to be
> patient and wait.
>
> I can only imagine how the CRAN team is overwhelmed by the exponential
> growth of package submissions. I wonder, though, whether the CRAN
> maintainers and the R community more broadly are thinking about
> alternatives to deal with such growing demand without compromising the
> speed and consistency/quality of package development. Expanding the team of
> CRAN maintainers would be the most obvious solution but I confess I'm not
> familiar enough with the whole process to assess what would be the best
> routes of action to tackle this bottleneck.

	  From my experience, it looks to me like their primary approach to
handling the increased volume has been to improve automation.  In the
spirit of brainstorming, I'd like to share other ideas on this:

MAKE IT EASY FOR A USER TO CHECK A DIFF FILE OF "Writing R Extensions"
COMPARING THE CURRENT VERSION WITH ANY PREVIOUS ONE.

	  For example, every article on Wikipedia has a "View History" tab.
That lists the dates of all the revisions with a terse summary of what
was changed in each.  I can click on any two and then click "Compare" to
see all the changes in that period.

	  I'm not going to reread every word of "Writing R Extensions" every
time I submit something to CRAN.  However, I would be willing to review
a diff file if it were easy for me to do that.  (And I'm NOT going to
create my own private file copy of "Writing R Extensions" and manually
create such a diff file.)

IMPROVE THE COLLABORATION BETWEEN THE CRAN TEAM AND OTHER DOCUMENTATION
OF HOW TO PREPARE A PACKAGE FOR CRAN

	  I know two sources of information on that:

		    * Wickham and Bryan, R Packages (https://r-pkgs.org).  I created a
"cran-comments.md" file based on their recommendations, and missed their
comment that it should be in ".Rbuildignore".  My latest CRAN submission
was rejected partly because of that.

		    * Colin Fay, "Preparing your package for a CRAN submission"
(https://github.com/ThinkR-open/prepare-for-cran).  These instructions
follow Wickham and Bryan in recommending "devtools::revdep_check()".
Sadly, "revdep_check" is not currently in devtools but in a package
called revdepcheck.  Worse, that package is not available on CRAN and
appears twice on GitHub.  The original by bbolker has not been updated
in 5 years.  The version that is currently maintained is
"https://github.com/r-lib/revdepcheck".  Fortunately, Hadley Wickham is
the leading contributor to the latter, so writing him may help correct
that infelicity, but I should also write to Colin Fay.

CRAN REVIEW GROUPS:  There are now 41 different "CRAN Task Views".  We
could ask the maintainer of each Task View to try to recruit a committee
around each one to discuss coverage and integration.  Each committee
could be asked to coordinate via email and in virtual meetings.  They
could be asked to pick 3 standard times for their virtual meetings, so
anyone in the world would not always be excluded from a meeting that was
3 AM their time.  Each package maintainer would be asked to specify at
least one "Task View" for each package and be willing to discuss
overlap, etc., with others.  This might be a topic for the next useR
conference.

	  Comments?
	  Best Wishes,
	  Spencer Graves