[R-pkg-devel] clang11 CRAN check and use of Eigen

Wed May 13 14:33:08 CEST 2020

Hi Chris,

On 12 May 2020 at 18:00, Chris Paciorek wrote:
| 1) Does anyone happen to know why this problem with Eigen is occurring
| with clang11?

Compilers change. Languages changes. Requirements change.

Many of us have been there (e.g. witness the "excitement" about gcc-10 last
December enforcing C level extern to be defined only once forcing a lot of
packages to have to make changes -- i.e. happens with C code too).

| 2) Given clang11 is not yet released, perhaps CRAN is simply flagging
| this for the future. I'm hoping we can still release our next version
| without addressing this, and I see that some of the other packages

I doubt it. CRAN, and one tireless operator in particular, are relentless in
chasing upcoming changes _early_ to give you time.

That, one comes to realize after a while, really is a feature.

The nag emails are painful each time, but this is one of the many small
technical details CRAN has gotten right, enforces, and thus ensures quality.

| this affects have released recently (e.g., prophet) seemingly without
| addressing the issue. Does anyone know CRAN's policy in this regard?

Yes. They will likely ask you to update your code "or else".

[ Now, with large (external) code bases this is also royal PITA. I happen to be
the maintainer of BH and RcppEigen, and both can create an unbelievable long
and annoying list of compiler warnings. If it were up to me, I'd suppress
them.  But my opinion doesn't matter, so the warning are there. ]

CRAN built the sandbox. A nice one, actually. And they still extend it.  We
just get to play in it.

So in short I would try to adjust the package.

Cheers,  Dirk