[R-pkg-devel] Package or namespace load failed: undefined symbol

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Sep 25 13:09:21 CEST 2019

On 9/25/19 1:00 PM, Ralf Stubner wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 10:29 AM Sameh M. Abdulah
> <sameh.abdulah using kaust.edu.sa> wrote:
>> I am installing OpenBLAS because I need LAPACKE libraries which I cannot find on the current version of OpenBLAS on CRAN.
>>
>> I add the libraries directory in my package to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH. Is this enough for the system to use my OpenBLAS library?
> I seem to be missing some context here. I might be able to help you if
> provide a higher level description of what you are trying to achieve.
> For example, why do you need LAPACKE instead of the C interface to
> LAPACK provided by R_ext/Lapack.h? And if you really need LAPACKE, why
> not include only that in your package and link with the BLAS/LAPACK
> used by R?

Also with LAPACKE you will have the problem of (in)compatibility in
calls from C to Fortran with the hidden length arguments for character
arguments. It would be better to use LAPACK directly, passing the hidden
length arguments as described in Writing R Extensions (the R-devel
version of it, section 6.6.1). Or, if you wanted a standards-based
solution, use iso_c_binding (also described in WRE). You would use the
LAPACK already provided in the system (either reference from R, or any
other as selected by administrator/user), not include it with your package.

Best
Tomas