[R-pkg-devel] License note on CRAN submission

Chris Brien Chr|@@Br|en @end|ng |rom un|@@@edu@@u
Mon Mar 4 05:34:47 CET 2019

I recently submitted an updated version of my package asremlPlus to CRAN and it did not pass incoming checks automatically because there were 3 Notes.

One Note was straightforward to fix and using rhub::check_for_cran I having verified that it is fixed. The rhub response from Windows server 2008 r-devel and Fedora linux, r-devel,  clang was  as follows:

-----
License components with restrictions and base license permitting such:
  MIT + file LICENSE
File 'LICENSE':
  YEAR: 2019

  COPYRIGHT HOLDER: CHRIS BRIEN

Suggests or Enhances not in mainstream repositories:
  asreml
* checking package dependencies ... NOTE
Package which this enhances but not available for checking: 'asreml'
---

The second note (concerning asreml) is expected and means that asremlPlus will never pass the incoming check automatically.

However, the first note concerning the license is not one that I had received on previous submissions, the most recent prior submission being 9/01/2019. The only change that has been made to the LICENSE file since then is the YEAR.

The thing is that I do not know what is giving rise to the message and I need help to work out how to proceed. I do not want to resubmit to CRAN if there is some modification that I should make that will remove the License note.

So, is the message
(1) one that I should now expect, given the MIT license, and I can resubmit to CRAN,
(2) an indication of a problem with the license that is now being detected and needs to be fixed, or
(3) an indication of some other problem that needs attention?

Any help is much appreciated,

Cheers,

  Chris

PS The package is at https://github.com/briencj/asremlPlus.