[R-pkg-devel] Unexpected symbol when checking package examples

Duncan Murdoch murdoch@dunc@n @ending from gm@il@com
Mon Nov 12 00:53:11 CET 2018

On 11/11/2018 3:39 PM, Jared Knowles wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a bit of a weird issue when I'm trying to check my package merTools
> (source repo available here: https://github.com/jknowles/merTools
>
> On Windows and Linux builds for R-release and R-devel, when R CMD CHECK
> checks examples, it returns the following error below:
>
> Warning: parse error in file 'merTools-Ex.R':
> 1: unexpected symbol
> 117: cleanEx()
> 118: nameEx

I also get this error on MacOS.

> Upon inspecting the example file generated by R CMD CHECK (mertools-Ex.R) -
> it contains only valid R code. I can run it line by line or source the
> whole file in R without any errors. But, during the check process, this
> error occurs.

The problem is in the REimpact help file.  It contains this:

zed3 <- REimpact(g1, newdata = InstEval[9:12, ], groupFctr = "d", breaks
= 5,

and there's no closing paren.

This is in a \donttest section of the examples, so it gets deleted when
running the examples, and that's the version of merTools-Ex.R that is
left at the end.  But the warning happened in a different test,

* checking for unstated dependencies in examples ... WARNING
Warning: parse error in file 'merTools-Ex.R':
1: unexpected symbol
118: cleanEx()
119: nameEx
      ^

and it is based on a different version of that file that doesn't omit
the \donttest section.

This is arguably an R bug:  the line numbers are misleading, since they
refer to a version of the file that no longer exists.  Perhaps when you
say \donttest, no tests should be done.

Duncan Murdoch