[R-pkg-devel] Unexpected symbol when checking package examples

Duncan Murdoch murdoch@dunc@n @ending from gm@il@com
Mon Nov 12 01:01:11 CET 2018

On 11/11/2018 6:53 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 11/11/2018 3:39 PM, Jared Knowles wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have a bit of a weird issue when I'm trying to check my package merTools
>> (source repo available here: https://github.com/jknowles/merTools
>>
>> On Windows and Linux builds for R-release and R-devel, when R CMD CHECK
>> checks examples, it returns the following error below:
>>
>> Warning: parse error in file 'merTools-Ex.R':
>> 1: unexpected symbol
>> 117: cleanEx()
>> 118: nameEx
>
> I also get this error on MacOS.
>

>> Upon inspecting the example file generated by R CMD CHECK (mertools-Ex.R) -
>> it contains only valid R code. I can run it line by line or source the
>> whole file in R without any errors. But, during the check process, this
>> error occurs.
>
> The problem is in the REimpact help file.  It contains this:
>
> zed3 <- REimpact(g1, newdata = InstEval[9:12, ], groupFctr = "d", breaks
> = 5,
>
> and there's no closing paren.
>
> This is in a \donttest section of the examples, so it gets deleted when
> running the examples, and that's the version of merTools-Ex.R that is
> left at the end.  But the warning happened in a different test,
>
> * checking for unstated dependencies in examples ... WARNING
> Warning: parse error in file 'merTools-Ex.R':
> 1: unexpected symbol
> 118: cleanEx()
> 119: nameEx
>        ^
>
> and it is based on a different version of that file that doesn't omit
> the \donttest section.
>
> This is arguably an R bug:  the line numbers are misleading, since they
> refer to a version of the file that no longer exists.  Perhaps when you
> say \donttest, no tests should be done.

Cancel that last sentence:  if you run "example(REimpact)", you get a
syntax error message, because \donttest is not the same as \dontrun.  So
this has to be fixed in the original file.

But the first part is still right:  you shouldn't say the problem is on
line 119 of 'merTools-Ex.R', and then rewrite the file so that line
isn't there any more.

Duncan Murdoch