[R-pkg-devel] dependency on a bioconductor package

Morgan, Martin mtmorg@n@bioc @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Oct 5 20:52:14 CEST 2018

Bioconductor has a release and a devel branch, with the idea that new
features are introduced into 'devel'. The transition to use BiocManager
is a new feature introduced into devel, and BiocInstaller has a
deprecation message added in devel only. It follows that win-builder is
using bioc-devel (this is reasonable; our next release is at the end of
this month), and that we'd look for use of BiocInstaller in devel
packages. affy is itself a 'core team' package, and we have removed use
of BiocInstaller from that.

But let's see... the 'release' branch has

c(BioCsoft = "https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.7/bioc", BioCann =
"https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.7/data/annotation",
BioCexp = "https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.7/data/experiment",
BioCworkflows = "https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.7/workflows",
CRAN = "https://cran.rstudio.com")
 > db = available.packages(repos=repos)
 > revdeps = tools::package_dependencies("LipidMS", db, recursive=TRUE)
 > "BiocInstaller" %in% unlist(revdeps)
[1] TRUE

and indeed BiocInstaller is problematic (but BiocInstaller in the
release branch doesn't generate the warning...) (also, I'm not sure
about the '3.5' components of your annotation / experiment repos, these
should be the same as the main repository).

On the other hand in our devel branch

 > repos = sub("3.7", "3.8", repos)
 > db = available.packages(repos=repos)
 > revdeps = tools::package_dependencies("LipidMS", db, recursive=TRUE)
 > "BiocInstaller" %in% unlist(revdeps)
[1] FALSE

So at least for packages that are current in CRAN and in the devel
branch of Bioconductor there is no use of BiocInstaller.

I'm not exactly sure where this leaves us...

Martin