[R-pkg-devel] How do I know if/when my package is fit for CRAN?

Voeten, C.C. c@c@voeten @ending from hum@leidenuniv@nl
Thu Jun 7 14:36:28 CEST 2018

Dear Michael and Rune,

Yes, when I started I was hoping that my tinkering might eventually be absorbed into lmerTest. Unfortunately, at the time, my knowledge of R and lmerTest was not sufficient for me to hack at lmerTest, and once I had achieved what I needed for LMMs in my own way (as a small script for personal use), I realized that I could easily extend my approach to GLMs and GAMs, at the obvious cost of breaking any possibility for upstreaming my code to lmerTest. I think that of the code I have now, not much is useful to lmerTest, but when I find the time I will certainly take a look if some things could be detached from buildmer into lmerTest.

I was aware of the new version of lmerTest (still have to update buildmer to work with the new interfaces though), but I have not used its step function in a long time. I'm glad to hear that it has gotten better at handling convergence failures. Yes, in case of future problems I will definitely get in touch, as I should perhaps have done two years ago -- I can only guess that at the time, I figured that the problem must have been with my model specification itself; my road to learning mixed models has been somewhat rocky!

In any case, I am encouraged by your replies. I will see if I can fix some more bugs and get the code to pass the CRAN checks, and maybe eventually I'll actually submit the package. Of course, I'll also see if there are things that could be of use to lmerTest, since I don't want to needlessly step onto their turf. Thank you for your kind feedback!

Best,
Cesko