[R-pkg-devel] CRAN pretest: Overall checktime 14 min > 10 min

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Mon May 21 14:06:52 CEST 2018

I can't speak to the recent increase on Windows. It may be load; it may be
related to R 3.5.0 --- but I'd even whittle things down from 5+ minutes.  At
one point in the past we were told to aim for 1 minute, give or take.

So e.g. Rcpp has been using a scheme for _many_ years where I take a cue from
the DESCRIPTION file. The rule I like (for my packages) is that versions like

  1.2.3.1

are "development" so I do a full test.  Whereas versions like

  1.2.4

are "release" -- so when I only see three components, I set a variable. And
the unit tests file can then use that variable to skip tests.  This gives me
fine-grained control: lighter-weight tests can still run in both cases. Hence
shorter test time for release uploads at CRAN; yet I still get full tests at
win-builder when I send a development version.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org