[R-pkg-devel] memory exhausted (limit reached?) and R3.6.0 memory leak in data.table

luke-tier@ey m@ili@g off uiow@@edu luke-tier@ey m@ili@g off uiow@@edu
Tue May 15 06:50:44 CEST 2018

The issue with data.table in R 3.5 and R 3.6 is a race condition in
data.table's use of multiple threads via OpenMP. Running with the
environment variable OMP_NUM_THREADS=1 makes the memory problem go
away.

Calling DATAPTR for ALTREP objects, like compact arithmetic sequences,
temporarily disables the GC. Calling DATAPTR from multiple threads
without synchronization creates a race condition that can leave the GC
disabled, so memory use grows. It's not a leak: signaling a user
interrupt, or anything that triggers a jump to top level, re-enables
the GC.

The issue exists in R 3.5 as well but is a little less apparent since,
due to an oversight, byte compiled code often does not produce compact
arithmetic sequences. This will hopefully be addressed in R 3.5.1.

Best,

luke