[R-pkg-devel] CRAN pretest archived because of 2 NOTEs

Gertjan van den Burg gertjanvandenburg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 20:02:58 CEST 2018

Dear all,

My CRAN submission doesn't pass the pre-tests and gets archived. I've
emailed cran-submissions at r-project.org explaining that these are false
positives, but since I haven't heard back in 10 days I don't think anyone
read that. Same thing for the submission comments (which also explained it).

The first note is:

* checking CRAN incoming feasibility ... NOTE
Maintainer: ‘Gertjan van den Burg <gertjanvandenburg at gmail.com>’

New submission

Possibly mis-spelled words in DESCRIPTION:
  GenSVM (8:18, 10:61, 15:2, 16:26, 19:11)
  Multiclass (4:22)
  SVMs (14:25, 15:42)
  misclassifications (11:49)
  multiclass (8:53, 14:14, 15:31)

These words are not mis-spelled, so this is a false positive.

The second note is:

* checking compiled code ... NOTE
File ‘gensvm/libs/gensvm_wrapper.so’:
  Found ‘rand’, possibly from ‘rand’ (C)
    Objects: ‘gensvm/src/gensvm_cv_util.o’, ‘gensvm/src/gensvm_init.o’,
      ‘gensvm/lib/libgensvm.a’
  Found ‘srand’, possibly from ‘srand’ (C)
    Objects: ‘gensvm/src/gensvm_train.o’, ‘gensvm/lib/libgensvm.a’

Compiled code should not call entry points which might terminate R nor
write to stdout/stderr instead of to the console, nor use Fortran I/O
nor system RNGs.

See ‘Writing portable packages’ in the ‘Writing R Extensions’ manual.

This is probably why the package is rejected. I have a valid use case for
using rand() and srand(): I'm trying to maintain compatibility of this
package with the corresponding Python package. By using rand en srand users
can reproduce models in both languages.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the package excepted to CRAN?

Thanks,

Gertjan van den Burg