[R-pkg-devel] Rd files: using \link[pkg]{foo} when file names differ between OSs

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 19:57:35 CEST 2018

On 16/04/2018 1:06 PM, Martin Morgan wrote:

> [...]
>>>       >>
>>>       >>
>>>       >> Yes, section 2.5 of Writing R Extensions indicates that
>>>       >> \link[pkg]{foo} and \link[pkg:bar]{foo} are rarely
>>>       >> needed; so the simplest way to proceed would be to avoid
>>>       >> \link[pkg]{foo} and \link[pkg:bar]{foo}. I am asking for
>>>       >> the cases where, as noted in 2.5, "more than one package
>>>       >> offers help on a topic".
>>>
>>>       > You could make the links conditional on the OS.  For example,
>>>
>>>       > #ifdef windows
>>>       > See \link[parallel]{mcdummies}.
>>>       > #endif
>>>       > #ifdef unix
>>>       > See \link[parallel]{mclapply}.
>>>       > #endif
>>>
>>>       > The other possibility (useful if there are major differences
>>> between the
>>>       > platforms) is to have two copies of the help file, one in
>>> man/unix, one
>>>       > in man/windows, but that doesn't seem appropriate from your
>>> description.
>>>
>>>       > Duncan Murdoch
>>>
>>> and mid-term, I really think R and (CRAN, Bioc, ...) packages
>>> should not do what we (R core) did here.
>>> Rather,  \alias{mclapply}  should exist both for windows and
>>> non-windows, and hence \link{mclapply}  would just work.
>
> \alias{mclapply} does exist...
>

>> I forget whether that would work here:  parallel being a base package
>> (used by the package in question?) might mean it would be found without
>> the [parallel] in the link.  But in general, links to other packages
>> using [pkg] go to the *filename*, not to the alias.  This oddity happens
>> because we want the links to work even if the referenced package is
>> installed later than the Rd file is processed.
>
> People are quite concerned about fixing the 'WARNING' this generates.
> However from the text
>
>     file link 'mclapply' in package 'parallel' does not exist and so has
> been  treated as a topic
>
> the help pages are actually constructed correctly, finding the page on
> which the topic (aka alias) 'mclapply' is defined. This contrasts with a
> completely incorrect link (e.g., \link[stats]{mclapply}) generating a
> warning
>
>     missing file link
>
> and unable to link to the mclapply topic.
>
> Perhaps the WARNING from \link[parallel]{mclapply} should be a NOTE?
>
> There are other oddities in the threads that Ramon indicates
>
>     - WARNINGs from \link[foo]{bar} that should really be
> \link[foo:baz]{bar} often only appear on Windows (parallel's use of
> mcdummies is a special case here). Shouldn't they be
> platform-independent? An example is
>

> http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/3.7/bioc-LATEST/ADaCGH2/tokay2-checksrc.html
>
> where as.MAList is defined in a file called asmalist.Rd so
> \link[limma]{as.MAList} is incorrect. It generates a warning only on our
> Windows machine (tokay2) not Linux or Mac. I had some recollection of
> Windows-specific help system behavior, but I think this dates back to

Yes, that looks like an issue in the Linux checks.

>     - There were a spate of independent posts about this, suggesting that
> this is relatively new phenomenon (though it could also be that
> maintainers have been busy preparing their packages for the next
> release, so are now noticing the problem...)

The fact that cross-package links go to files rather than aliases is
very old, but the checks may be newer.

>     - It doesn't seem like good practice to link to the file name, which
> seems an internal aspect of a package, rather than to the alias, which
> seems at least for symbols to be a user-facing public aspect of the package.

I agree, but as I said, this is very old.  It was old when I wrote the
Rd parser.  I vaguely recall that the possibility of a change was
considered and rejected, but I'm not sure about that.

Changing it to use only topics would likely cause problems for people
who are not getting warnings now.  Perhaps it would be sensible to
switch from filename to topic without a warning if the referenced
package is available for checking, only issuing the warning if the check
machine can't verify that the link is good.

Duncan Murdoch