[R-pkg-devel] Rd files: using \link[pkg]{foo} when file names differ between OSs

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 17:52:10 CEST 2018

On 16/04/2018 11:35 AM, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Two recent threads in the bioconductor devel mailing list
> (https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioc-devel/2018-April/013156.html and
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioc-devel/2018-April/013259.html) are
> related to packages that have different names of html files in different
> operating systems.
>
> For example, parallel has a file called mclapply in Linux. So using, from
> the Rd file of another package, \link[parallel]{mclapply} works fine under
> Linux, but does not under Windows, because there is no mclapply.html file
> in Windows (there is a mcdummies file).
>

> Is there any recommended way to proceed in these cases?
>

> Yes, section 2.5 of Writing R Extensions indicates that \link[pkg]{foo}
> and \link[pkg:bar]{foo} are rarely needed; so the simplest way to proceed
> would be to avoid \link[pkg]{foo} and \link[pkg:bar]{foo}. I am asking for
> the cases where, as noted in 2.5, "more than one package offers help on a
> topic".

You could make the links conditional on the OS.  For example,

#ifdef windows
See \link[parallel]{mcdummies}.
#endif
#ifdef unix
See \link[parallel]{mclapply}.
#endif

The other possibility (useful if there are major differences between the
platforms) is to have two copies of the help file, one in man/unix, one
in man/windows, but that doesn't seem appropriate from your description.

Duncan Murdoch