[R-pkg-devel] Package check help: Package required but not available

Martyn Plummer plummerm at iarc.fr
Thu Mar 1 18:05:21 CET 2018

On Thu, 2018-03-01 at 16:05 +0000, David Stanley wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I’m new to this list but hopefully you can help me.
>
> I’m working on updating my apaTables package (most recent code: https
> ://github.com/dstanley4/apaTables)
>
> However, I’m encountering problems passing the CRAN check because of
> a package I use (MBESS). MBESS is available on all platforms except
> r-patched-solaris-x86 (see https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/chec
> k_results_apaTables.html)
>
> To work around this I did three things that have not worked.
>
> 1) I modified the DESCRIPTION file. I moved MBESS from Imports to
> Suggests
>
> 2) I manipulated a flag (show.confidence.interval) in my file
> apaDvalueTable.R show that it is always FALSE if the following is
> FALSE: requireNamespace("MBESS", quietly = TRUE) . That is, if the
> package is not there do no calculate the confidence intervals that
> require it. But I still fail the check. Is this perhaps because I
> didn’t wrap the MBESS command on line 97 with an “if” using
> requireNamespace? This command will never be executed without the
> package though because of the flag.
>
> 3) I also wrapped a command that uses MBESS in apaRegressionTable.R
> (line 276) that uses MBESS.
>
> Any help much appreciated in resolving this "Package required but not
> available” problem.

David, I think you are misinterpreting the message you are getting.

The fact that the MBESS package is not available on Solaris is not your
fault and is not something you should have to work around. In fact, the
 problem is not even with the MBESS package, but with the rpf package
through the chain of dependencies:

ApaTables -> MBESS -> OpenMx -> rpf

Note that the message about the lack of availability of MBESS is for
the *current* version of Apatables on CRAN, (1.5.1), not the new
version that your are uploading (2.0.1).

The issues that require fixing are for the incoming checks, that take
place on Windows, i.e. the NOTEs that you say are easily fixed.

> (Detailed CRAN message below. Fixing the Notes issues are easy.)

Martyn