[R-pkg-devel] Package check help: Package required but not available

Joris Meys Joris.Meys at ugent.be
Thu Mar 1 17:33:39 CET 2018

Hi David,

When looking at apaDvalueTable.R, there's nothing that prevents the
MBESS::ci.msd() call to be executed when show.conf.interval  is FALSE. Even
then the function will calculate it, just not show the result. So running
your example on Solaris will still give you an error. You'll have to add an
extra condition to prevent this.

On a sidenote: please use message() instead of cat() to send messages to
the user. Then anyone who doesn't want to see them (eg bcs they do a
simulation) can simply use suppressMessages() for that.

Cheers
Joris

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 5:05 PM, David Stanley <dstanley at uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I’m new to this list but hopefully you can help me.
>
> I’m working on updating my apaTables package (most recent code:
> https://github.com/dstanley4/apaTables)
>
> However, I’m encountering problems passing the CRAN check because of a
> package I use (MBESS). MBESS is available on all platforms except
> r-patched-solaris-x86 (see https://cran.r-project.org/
> web/checks/check_results_apaTables.html)
>
> To work around this I did three things that have not worked.
>
> 1) I modified the DESCRIPTION file. I moved MBESS from Imports to Suggests
>
> 2) I manipulated a flag (show.confidence.interval) in my file
> apaDvalueTable.R show that it is always FALSE if the following is FALSE:
> requireNamespace("MBESS", quietly = TRUE) . That is, if the package is not
> there do no calculate the confidence intervals that require it. But I still
> fail the check. Is this perhaps because I didn’t wrap the MBESS command on
> line 97 with an “if” using requireNamespace? This command will never be
> executed without the package though because of the flag.
>
> 3) I also wrapped a command that uses MBESS in apaRegressionTable.R (line
> 276) that uses MBESS.
>
> Any help much appreciated in resolving this "Package required but not
> available” problem.
>
> (Detailed CRAN message below. Fixing the Notes issues are easy.)
>
> Cheers,
> David
>

> David Stanley, PhD | Associate Professor
> Department of Psychology | University of Guelph
> 4002 MacKinnon | 50 Stone Rd E | Guelph, ON | N1G 2W1
> dstanley at uoguelph.ca<mailto:dstanley at uoguelph.ca>  | 519-824-4120 Ext.
> 58590
> uoguelph.ca/psychology/users/david-stanley<http://uoguelph.
> ca/psychology/users/david-stanley>
> @dstanley4
>

> Dear maintainer,
>
> package apaTables_2.0.1.tar.gz does not pass the incoming checks
> automatically, please see the pre-test at:
> <https://win-builder.r-project.org/incoming_pretest/
> 180301_161113_apaTables_201/00check.log>
>
> Current CRAN status: ERROR: 1, OK: 11
> See: <https://CRAN.R-project.org/web/checks/check_results_apaTables.html>
>
> Please fix all problems and resubmit a fixed version via the webform.
> If you are not sure how to fix the problems shown, please ask for help on
> the R-package-devel mailing list:
> If you are fairly certain the rejection is a false positive, please
> reply-all to this message and explain.
>
> More details are given in the directory:
> <https://win-builder.r-project.org/incoming_pretest/
> 180301_161113_apaTables_201>
> The files will be removed after roughly 7 days.
>

> Best regards,
> CRAN teams' auto-check service

Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Department of Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling
Ghent University
Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Gent (Belgium)
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Coupure+links+653,%C2%A0B-9000+Gent,%C2%A0Belgium&entry=gmail&source=g>

tel: +32 (0)9 264 61 79
Biowiskundedagen 2017-2018
http://www.biowiskundedagen.ugent.be/