[R-pkg-devel] Depreciate Function

Maxime Turgeon maxime.turgeon at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Feb 7 20:48:40 CET 2018

Hi Rami,

I think you're confusing two things: 1) the warning a user receives when they use a deprecated function, and 2) the warning you receive when you (or CRAN) run R CMD check.

1) This is the correct behaviour: you want to warn your users that if they don't change their code, it may break in later releases.

2) When you run R CMD check, it runs all the examples in your help pages (unless you explicitly use \dontrun). If any example triggers a warning, you get a warning; if any example triggers an error, you get an error.

Now, because some of your examples run deprecated functions, it triggers a warning. Unless you *really* want to keep those examples as they are, you should change your code to use the new function. Or put another way, you probably want your users to use the new function, so the documentation should reflect that.

Max