[R-pkg-devel] spell check in DESCRIPTION

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 16:45:51 CEST 2017

On 26/07/2017 6:47 AM, Simon Wood wrote:
> I've just had my package (mgcv) bounced because of 3 notes. One of these
> is complaining about spelling in the DESCRIPTION file.
>
> Possibly mis-spelled words in DESCRIPTION:
>     AIC (5:47, 8:75)
>     GAM (5:14)
>     GAMMs (7:20)
>     GAMs (7:14)
>     GCV (5:43, 8:57)
>     REML (5:51, 8:62)
>     UBRE (8:70)
>     smoothers (9:59)
>
> However if I run
>
> R CMD check mgcv_1.8-18.tar.gz --as-cran
>
> using the same rdevel version apparently used in the test then no problem is reported. Does anyone know how I can turn on the spell check?

If you have aspell, you can set the environment variable

_R_CHECK_CRAN_INCOMING_USE_ASPELL_

to TRUE.  (This should be documented in "R Internals" along with the
other incoming check variables, but appears to have been overlooked.)

  And how do I request that `smoothers' be allowed as a valid word (even
if acronyms are to be banned)?

Acronyms aren't banned, those are false positives (as is "smoothers").
To get words added, you would normally suggest they be added to
share/dictionaries/en_stats.txt in the R sources, but I see "smoothers"
is already there, and has been since 2012.  Not sure why it showed up in
your check.

Duncan Murdoch