[R-pkg-devel] Seamless way for a CRAN-bound package to depend on a Bioconductor package?

Pavel Krivitsky pavel at uow.edu.au
Fri Jul 28 14:42:01 CEST 2017

Dear All,

There is a Bioconductor package (S4Vectors) whose functionality I want
to use in one of my packages, which I usually submit to CRAN.

At this time, install.packages() does not automatically fetch
dependencies from Bioconductor as far as I can tell, though it can be
told to do so via setRepostitory().

Is there any way to make it more seamless for the end-user?

I know that there is the 'Additional_repositories:' setting, but I
think that's for R CMD check only: although devtools::install()
understands it and the 'biocView:' setting, install.packages() does
not.

Another option might be to make it a Suggested package and then force
its installation (if necessary) and loading in the .onLoad() function
of my package, but it's not clear whether that's CRAN-appropriate
behaviour.

				Thanks in advance,
				Pavel

--
Pavel Krivitsky
Lecturer in Statistics

NOTICE: This email is intended for the addressee named and may contain
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Please consider the environment before
printing this email.