[R-pkg-devel] Note about portable file names

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 14:53:53 CEST 2017

On 11/06/2017 8:18 AM, Konstantin Sorokin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> When checking one of my packages I have following message:
>
> checking for portable file names ... NOTE
> Found the following non-portable file paths:
>   tarantoolr/src/third_party/msgpack-1.4.1/include/msgpack/preprocessor/facilities/is_empty_variadic.hpp
>   tarantoolr/src/third_party/msgpack-1.4.1/include/msgpack/preprocessor/iteration/detail/bounds/lower1.hpp
>
>   <skipped>
>
> Tarballs are only required to store paths of up to 100 bytes and cannot
> store those of more than 256 bytes, with restrictions including to 100
> bytes for the final component.
> See section ‘Package structure’ in the ‘Writing R Extensions’ manual.
>
> My question is: Is it possible to be accepted on CRAN with these sort of
> messages? To say the truth I have no idea how can I fix them and still have
> third party components inside source directory.

Your longer one is just 104 characters, so you could easily avoid the
note by removing or shortening the "third_party" directory name, which
should be under your control.  If you have others where that is not
sufficient, you can think about renaming other directories, though I can
see that wouldn't be desirable.