[R-pkg-devel] Note about portable file names

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Jun 11 15:15:50 CEST 2017

On 11 June 2017 at 15:18, Konstantin Sorokin wrote:
| Hello!
|
| When checking one of my packages I have following message:
|
| checking for portable file names ... NOTE
| Found the following non-portable file paths:
|   tarantoolr/src/third_party/msgpack-1.4.1/include/msgpack/preprocessor/facilities/is_empty_variadic.hpp
|   tarantoolr/src/third_party/msgpack-1.4.1/include/msgpack/preprocessor/iteration/detail/bounds/lower1.hpp

Do you know about this package

   https://cloud.r-project.org/web/packages/RcppRedis/

using the package RcppMsgPack (currently in the off-CRAN repo ghrr-drat) ?

I could look into getting RcppMsgPack onto CRAN too.  I really like MsgPack.

| My question is: Is it possible to be accepted on CRAN with these sort of
| messages? To say the truth I have no idea how can I fix them and still have
| third party components inside source directory.

As Duncan already said, you need to shorten the path to arrive at 104
characters. That is (no kidding) the main reason the Boost Headers package is
called BH to only use two chars.  There is still one file in there I rename
for each release for this very reason to a shorter name -- 104 chars it is.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org