[R-pkg-devel] ω, α, η, ² in .Rd files

Jonathon Love jon at thon.cc
Fri Feb 10 14:52:33 CET 2017

hi uwe,

On 10/2/17 23:40, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> On 10.02.2017 03:19, Jonathon Love wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> i'm trying to include some greek characters in my package documentation,
>> but am having difficulty getting it to work on windows. it works find on
>> macOS, linux, but throws errors on windows:
>>
>> https://win-builder.r-project.org/guwReC6lhQaU/00check.log
>>
>> so far i have tried:

>> \u03C9
>> \omega
>> \eqn{\omega}
>> \symbol{"03C9}
>> \enc{ω}{omega}
>

> The latter is right in principle, but two issues:
>
> 1- you use it in an .R file which should no assume a special encoding.
> I do not use roxygen2, hence don't know how it can work at all, I'd
> simply do it in the Rd file directly.
>
> 2- Thge LaTeX version on winbuilder cannot deal with an UTF-8 omega
> symbol. Hence I'd rather write
> \eqn{\omega}{omega}
> or to square it:
> \eqn{\omega^2}{omega^2}

thanks for explaining this

unfortunately this doesn't work with the html or plain-text help (i
assume it does work with the PDF manuals). in the html/plain text help,
it always puts the plain ascii 'omega', rather than the actual symbol.

so it's seeming like it's not possible to have special chars in the html
or plain-text help, without upsetting the winbuilder?

if i have to use the plain ascii 'omega', 'eta', 'alpha', it won't be
the end of the world.

with thanks

jonathon