[R-pkg-devel] ω, α, η, ² in .Rd files

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Fri Feb 10 13:40:07 CET 2017

On 10.02.2017 03:19, Jonathon Love wrote:
> hi,
>
> i'm trying to include some greek characters in my package documentation,
> but am having difficulty getting it to work on windows. it works find on
> macOS, linux, but throws errors on windows:
>
> https://win-builder.r-project.org/guwReC6lhQaU/00check.log
>
> so far i have tried:

> \u03C9
> \omega
> \eqn{\omega}
> \symbol{"03C9}
> \enc{ω}{omega}

The latter is right in principle, but two issues:

1- you use it in an .R file which should no assume a special encoding. I
do not use roxygen2, hence don't know how it can work at all, I'd simply
do it in the Rd file directly.

2- Thge LaTeX version on winbuilder cannot deal with an UTF-8 omega
symbol. Hence I'd rather write
\eqn{\omega}{omega}
or to square it:
\eqn{\omega^2}{omega^2}