[R-pkg-devel] [[openmx-dev]] Re: openmp

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin at pobox.com
Mon Aug 24 17:02:31 CEST 2015

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 09:29:34AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 24 August 2015 at 09:14, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> | So I take that answer as, "No, CRAN cannot possibly enable openmp for
> | binary builds." Is that correct?
>
> The CRAN maintainers are not withholding OpenMP from you because they
> are meanies.
>
> But they may do so because it is not reliable or performant on some of
> the platforms.  This issue has been discussed before, Luke Tierney in
> particular is quite on top of this has made comments in the past that
> performance might "soon" catch up in the OS X implementation.  OpenMP
> _is_ used in R itself and by a number of packages.  Your best bet may
> be to test for it with a configure script, and maybe to talk to the
> respective CRAN maintainers for Windows and OS X if you have
> particular questions, there.

Currently, we have a configure script for package OpenMx that only
enables openmp if gcc is the compiler (OS X only). Nice to hear that
openmp is supported on Windows.

Are there any CRAN packages that actually compile to openmp enabled
binaries on CRAN? I'd prefer if we weren't breaking new ground here. I'd
love to copy an already working configure script instead of trying to
write it for the first time.

--
Joshua N. Pritikin
Department of Psychology