[R-pkg-devel] openmp

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Aug 24 16:29:34 CEST 2015

On 24 August 2015 at 09:14, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
| On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 08:01:08AM +0200, Mark van der Loo wrote:
| >    Afaik, openmp is available on windows. According to writing R
| >    extensions:
| >
| >    There is nothing to say what version of OpenMP is supported: version
| >    3.0 (May 2008) is supported by recent versions of the Linux, _Windows_
| >    and Solaris platforms, but portable packages cannot assume that end
| >    users have recent versions. OS X nowadays uses clang, and the Apple
| >    builds currently have no OpenMP support.
|
| So I take that answer as, "No, CRAN cannot possibly enable openmp for
| binary builds." Is that correct?

The CRAN maintainers are not withholding OpenMP from you because they are meanies.

But they may do so because it is not reliable or performant on some of the
platforms.  This issue has been discussed before, Luke Tierney in particular
is quite on top of this has made comments in the past that performance might
"soon" catch up in the OS X implementation.  OpenMP _is_ used in R itself and
by a number of packages.  Your best bet may be to test for it with a
configure script, and maybe to talk to the respective CRAN maintainers for
Windows and OS X if you have particular questions, there.