[R-pkg-devel] new maintainer sought for maps packages

Jonathan Callahan jonathan at mazamascience.com
Fri Jul 31 20:31:30 CEST 2015

Alex,

Thank you for addressing the #1 issue with the 'maps' package. I have
several clients and colleagues that I have pushed to use R for mapping but
it's always embarrassing to say they have to either 1: accept Soviet Union
era borders or 2: embrace the complexity of the 'sp' package.

Updating the world borders and (Oh please!) allowing countries to be
identified by ISO-3166-1-alpha2 country codes would hugely improve the
utility of the 'maps' package.

Our efforts with the MazamaSpatialUtils
<https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/MazamaSpatialUtils> package
originated with the outdated world map in the 'maps' package.

Best Regards,

Jon