[R-pkg-devel] SystemRequirements and .R/Makevars

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 12:01:10 CEST 2015

Dear All,

Some of my packages use

SystemRequirements: C++11

in the DESCRIPTION. But then .R/Makevars seems to be ignored (e.g., flags
such as -Wall or using clang) in all that concerns C++ (only CXX and
CXXFLAGS are ignored, not CC or CFLAGS). So I keep commenting that line for
normal development and uncommenting it for final checking before release.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere this is the way things work, but this
is not what I understand from reading again
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-devel/R-exts.html#Using-C_002b_002b11-code.

After googling I have not been able to locate anything, and since I guess
it is probably common to use both C++11 and a custom .R/Makevars I think
something is wrong somewhere in my setup. But I have no idea what. I am
using Debian (a mix of testing and unstable), both with stock Debian R and
with custom built Rs.

Best,

R.

--