[R] Load svg, eps or png into graphics device?

Rainer M Krug R@|ner @end|ng |rom krug@@de
Mon Jun 22 09:07:51 CEST 2020

> On 20 Jun 2020, at 01:30, Abby Spurdle <spurdle.a using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If I understand your question correctly, you're already able to read
> an EPS file.
> So, essentially, you have an answer to your question.

Well - there are some dependencies (system as well as package dependencies) which I would like to cut down - that is why I am asking.

> Paul Murrell published an article on using raster graphics, in 2011.
> https://journal.r-project.org/archive/2011-1/RJournal_2011-1_Murrell.pdf
>
> I would assume there's been progress since then.
> But I don't see the point here.

Depending on the use, it might be better to have a raster or a vector representation. But I agree - in general, is vector better.

> Writing what would otherwise be vector graphics to a raster-based

No - plantuml can also produce png graphs - these are the ones I am using for the raster representation.

> image file, and then reading it back into a vector graphics system,
> would create unnecessary problems.

That one is true.

Thanks,

Rainer