[R] R 3.3.2 is released
pd.mes at cbs.dk
Mon Oct 31 11:22:44 CET 2016
The build system rolled up R-3.3.2.tar.gz (codename "Sincere Pumpkin Patch") this morning.
The list below details the changes in this release.
You can get the source code from
or wait for it to be mirrored at a CRAN site nearer to you.
Binaries for various platforms will appear in due course.
For the R Core Team,
These are the md5sums for the freshly created files, in case you wish
to check that they are uncorrupted:
MD5 (AUTHORS) = eb97a5cd38acb1cfc6408988bffef765
MD5 (COPYING) = eb723b61539feef013de476e68b5c50a
MD5 (COPYING.LIB) = a6f89e2100d9b6cdffcea4f398e37343
MD5 (FAQ) = 342856fe28ac8af7c8d48db1f6dde8e2
MD5 (INSTALL) = 7893f754308ca31f1ccf62055090ad7b
MD5 (NEWS) = 3edf7e6a206a1303ed50979fb21d2ab7
MD5 (NEWS.0) = bfcd7c147251b5474d96848c6f57e5a8
MD5 (NEWS.1) = eb78c4d053ec9c32b815cf0c2ebea801
MD5 (NEWS.2) = 8e2f4d1d5228663ae598a09bf1e2bc6b
MD5 (R-latest.tar.gz) = 2437014ef40641cdc9673e89c040b7a8
MD5 (README) = f468f281c919665e276a1b691decbbe6
MD5 (RESOURCES) = 529223fd3ffef95731d0a87353108435
MD5 (THANKS) = f80d02e7ba9729a927e1c9cf7b435b32
MD5 (VERSION-INFO.dcf) = c643e0eb5a8e98b034f76287c574be32
MD5 (R-3/R-3.3.2.tar.gz) = 2437014ef40641cdc9673e89c040b7a8
This is the relevant part of the NEWS file
CHANGES IN R 3.3.2:
* extSoftVersion() now reports the version (if any) of the readline
library in use.
* The version of LAPACK included in the sources has been updated to
3.6.1, a bug-fix release including a speedup for the
non-symmetric case of eigen().
* Use options(deparse.max.lines=) to limit the number of lines
recorded in .Traceback and other deparsing activities.
* format(<AsIs>) looks more regular, also for non-character atomic
* abbreviate() gains an option named = TRUE.
* The online documentation for package methods is extensively
rewritten. The goals are to simplify documentation for basic
use, to note old features not recommended and to correct
* Calls to setMethod() no longer print a message when creating a
generic function in those cases where that is natural: S3
generics and primitives.
INSTALLATION and INCLUDED SOFTWARE:
* Versions of the readline library >= 6.3 had been changed so that
terminal window resizes were not signalled to readline: code has
been added using a explicit signal handler to work around that
(when R is compiled against readline >= 6.3). (PR#16604)
* configure works better with Oracle Developer Studio 12.5.
* R CMD check reports more dubious flags in files
src/Makevars[.in], including -w and -g.
* R CMD check has been set up to filter important warnings from
recent versions of gfortran with -Wall -pedantic: this now
reports non-portable GNU extensions such as out-of-order
* R CMD config works better with paths containing spaces, even
those of home directories (as reported by Ken Beath).
DEPRECATED AND DEFUNCT:
* Use of the C/C++ macro NO_C_HEADERS is deprecated (no C headers
are included by R headers from C++ as from R 3.3.0, so it should
no longer be needed).
* The check for non-portable flags in R CMD check could be stymied
by src/Makevars files which contained targets.
* (Windows only) When using certain desktop themes in Windows 7 or
higher, Alt-Tab could cause Rterm to stop accepting input.
(PR#14406; patch submitted by Jan Gleixner.)
* pretty(d, ..) behaves better for date-time d (PR#16923).
* When an S4 class name matches multiple classes in the S4 cache,
perform a dynamic search in order to obey namespace imports.
This should eliminate annoying messages about multiple hits in
the class cache. Also, pass along the package from the
ClassExtends object when looking up superclasses in the cache.
* sample(NA_real_) now works.
* Packages using non-ASCII encodings in their code did not install
data properly on systems using different encodings.
* merge(df1, df2) now also works for data frames with column names
"na.last", "decreasing", or "method". (PR#17119)
* contour() caused a segfault if the labels argument had length
zero. (Reported by Bill Dunlap.)
* unique(warnings()) works more correctly, thanks to a new
* findInterval(x, vec = numeric(), all.inside = TRUE) now returns
0s as documented. (Reported by Bill Dunlap.)
* (Windows only) R CMD SHLIB failed when a symbol in the resulting
library had the same name as a keyword in the .def file.
* pmax() and pmin() now work with (more ?) classed objects, such
as "Matrix" from the Matrix package, as documented for a long
* axis(side, x = D) and hence Axis() and plot() now work correctly
for "Date" and time objects D, even when "time goes backward",
e.g., with decreasing xlim. (Reported by William May.)
* str(I(matrix(..))) now looks as always intended.
* plot.ts(), the plot() method for time series, now respects cex,
lwd and lty. (Reported by Greg Werbin.)
* parallel::mccollect() now returns a named list (as documented)
when called with wait = FALSE. (Reported by Michel Lang.)
* If a package added a class to a class union in another package,
loading the first package gave erroneous warnings about
* c()'s argument use.names is documented now, as belonging to the
(C internal) default method. In "parallel", argument recursive
is also moved from the generic to the default method, such that
the formal argument list of base generic c() is just (...).
* rbeta(4, NA) and similarly rgamma() and rnbinom() now return
NaN's with a warning, as other r<dist>(), and as documented.
* Using options(checkPackageLicense = TRUE) no longer requires
acceptance of the licence for non-default standard packages such
as compiler. (Reported by Mikko Korpela.)
* split(<very_long>, *) now works even when the split off parts are
* min() and max() now also work correctly when the argument list
starts with character(0). (PR#17160)
* Subsetting very large matrices (prod(dim(.)) >= 2^31) now works
thanks to Michael Schubmehl's PR#17158.
* bartlett.test() used residual sums of squares instead of
variances, when the argument was a list of lm objects. (Reported
by Jens Ledet Jensen).
* plot(<lm>, which = *) now correctly labels the contour lines for
the standardized residuals for which = 6. It also takes the
correct p in case of singularities (also for which = 5).
* xtabs(~ exclude) no longer fails from wrong scope, thanks to
Suharto Anggono's PR#17147.
* Reference class calls to methods() did not re-analyse previously
defined methods, meaning that calls to methods defined later
would fail. (Reported by Charles Tilford).
* findInterval(x, vec, left.open = TRUE) misbehaved in some cases.
(Reported by Dmitriy Chernykh.)
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Center for Statistics, Copenhagen Business School
Solbjerg Plads 3, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
Office: A 4.23
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com
R-announce at r-project.org mailing list
More information about the R-help