[R] Making a trial based Package for 30-days.

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon May 12 14:03:11 CEST 2014

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Ashis Deb <ashisdeb83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi  all   ,
>

>                I have   a  GUI  package , which  I  want  to  make  it
> work  for  a  certain period,say-30days   ,after which  it should  be self
> destructive  .
>
> Could it  be possible  ??

 Yes.

 But why bother? Can you stop people:

 a) turning back the clock on their PCs?
 b) reinstalling again after 30 days?
 c) installing on a fresh operating system?
 d) editing the program to remove the date check?

You have to decide if the effort in preventing all these things is
worth it. Unless your software is really going to make you millions of
dollars unless you do this, the answer is no.

 Easiest option is to just pop up a nag screen saying "You really
should stop using this after 30 days", but don't bother trying to
enforce it (and definitely don't go deleting it itself, you'll end up
deleting someone's files and then they will sue you).

 With a nag screen, people who are going to buy your product will buy
it, people who aren't going to buy your product will carry on using
it, but then they are going to do that anyway since these measures are
so easily circumvented. Unless you want to invest in some serious
licensing infrastructure.

Barry