[R] How to speed up the for loop by releasing memeory

Yong Wang wangyong1 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 16:10:50 CET 2012

Dear list;

How can I speed up the run of following code (illustrative)
#========================================================================
con<-vector("numeric")

for (i in 1:limit)
{
if(matched data for the ith item found) {
            if(i==1) {con<-RowOfMatchedData } else
{con<-rbind(con,matchedData)}
                                                        }
}

each RowOfMatchedData contains 105 variables, when "i" runs over 10^7
and the data container "con" get large enough, the codes get extremely
slow, I know this is a working memory problem (2GB only), is there
anyway to circumvent this problem without dicing and slicing the data.