[R] Installing randomForest on Ubuntu Errors

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Mon May 10 14:39:56 CEST 2010

I don't know much about how permissions are managed under ubuntu, but
you can try a couple of things:

- Dirk had worked very hard at automating building of CRAN packages for
Debian (from which Ubuntu is based).  I believe randomForest is among
one of those available.  I'm not sure if you need to set up special
respository, but the idea is that you should be able to install R
packages via apt-get.

- Try installing in your home directory and see if that works:  Make a
directory under your home directory, e.g., called "Rlibs".  Then in R,
do install.packages("randomForest", lib.loc="~/Rlibs", depend=TRUE).  If
that works, then your original problem is likely caused by permission.

Andy

From: Steve_Friedman at nps.gov