[R] Installing randomForest on Ubuntu Errors

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon May 10 15:01:11 CEST 2010

Steve,

The list r-sig-debian is a more appropriate forum for this question as it is
dedicated to R on Debian / Ubuntu.

On 10 May 2010 at 08:24, Steve_Friedman at nps.gov wrote:

| Hello,
|
| I've tried to install randomForest on a Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron system.
|
| I've repeatedly rec'd the error:
|
| > install.packages("randomForest", dependencies = TRUE)
|
| ERROR:  compiliation failed for package 'randomForest'
| ** Removing '/home/admuser/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.6/randomForest'

Can you produce the actual error?  Ie why did install.packages fail?

What happens when you down the source .tar.gz and try

    sudo R CMD INSTALL randomForest_*.tar.gz

instead?

Many of us happily run and install numerous packages from CRAN on Debian
and/or Ubuntu and I am sure we can help out, but it would be best if you came
over to r-sig-debian (and you need to subscribe first).

Hth, Dirk

--
  Regards, Dirk