[R] Update RMySQL and ... it's no more running

PtitBleu ptit_bleu at yahoo.fr
Fri Feb 19 15:19:33 CET 2010

Hello again,

After 'googling', I set the environment variable MYSQL_HOME value to the
path to MYSQL with the command below.
I get a warning (is it a problem or not ???) but I managed to connect to my
databases.

But when I close and open again R, the connection is lost. I have to run the
command each time.
Is there a way to definitively set the variable value ?

Thank in advance,
Have a nice week-end,
Ptit Bleu.

> Sys.setenv("MYSQL_HOME"="C:/MySQL/MySQL Server 5.1")
> Sys.getenv('MYSQL_HOME')
                 MYSQL_HOME
"C:/MySQL/MySQL Server 5.1"

> library(DBI)
Warning message:
le package 'DBI' a été compilé avec la version R 2.9.2

> library(RMySQL)
Warning messages:
1: le package 'RMySQL' a été compilé avec la version R 2.9.2
2: In inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :

   RMySQL was compiled with MySQL 5.0.67 but loading MySQL 5.1.44 instead!
   This may cause problems with your database connections.

   Please install MySQL 5.0.67.

   If you have already done so, you may need to set your environment
   variable MYSQL_HOME to the proper install directory.