[R] Graphical output format

baptiste auguie ba208 at exeter.ac.uk
Fri May 15 10:49:41 CEST 2009

On 15 May 2009, at 10:01, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Fri, 15 May 2009, Dieter Menne wrote:
>
>> Stats Wolf <stats.wolf <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Postscript, however, does not have to be what I need for two
>>> reasons.
>>> First, it does not accept some special characters from foreign
>>> languages (exactly like PDF).
>
> 'foreign' is a relative term which is imprecise (and somewhat
> impolite) when writing to an international community: I don't suppose
> Dieter Menne regards German characters as 'foreign' but Ei-ji Nakama
> does, unlike Japanese ones.
>
>> You should given an example for that in pdf. I always had the
>> impression
>> that pdf is the most comprehensive in foreign character support.

Just a thought:

There was recently a discussion here on the pgfSweave [1] driver ---
it should be possible to use it in conjunction with XeTeX [2] to
process the pgf output. Presumably there will be issues of alignment
and spacing but at least arbitrary characters of most languages could
be employed in a fairly straight-forward manner.

[1]: http://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=331
[2]: http://www.tug.org/xetex/

Regards,

baptiste