[R] Graphical output format

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 15 10:01:08 CEST 2009

On Fri, 15 May 2009, Dieter Menne wrote:

> Stats Wolf <stats.wolf <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Postscript, however, does not have to be what I need for two reasons.
>> First, it does not accept some special characters from foreign
>> languages (exactly like PDF).

'foreign' is a relative term which is imprecise (and somewhat
impolite) when writing to an international community: I don't suppose
Dieter Menne regards German characters as 'foreign' but Ei-ji Nakama
does, unlike Japanese ones.

> You should given an example for that in pdf. I always had the impression
> that pdf is the most comprehensive in foreign character support.

Not really true, but since you can embed bitmaps in both PostScript
and PDF, there are workarounds.

PostScript and PDF use 8-bit encodings for character strings except
for some predefined encodings for CJK languages, so in principle this
is far less comprehensive than windows() and X11() which use Unicode.
However, in practice the limitations are the glyphs available in the
specified fonts, and in all the cases I am aware of an available font
can be encoded in one or two 8-bit encodings (and hence in one or two
R font families).  You can't mix (say) Russian and Polish characters
in a single text() call for pdf() (you can for windows()), but you can
have them in separate calls for the same plot.

There are (on suitable R platforms) cairo_pdf() and cairo_ps()
devices.  They are (on suitably rich OSes) able to cover a very wide
range of characters, which they do by embedding the font gyphs into
the output (often as bitmaps): the quality of the effect often depends
on the output device used, which is why the traditional approach in
PS/PDF is to render fonts in the output device.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk