[R] Difficulties with the simpest table

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Jun 10 23:54:25 CEST 2009

On Jun 10, 2009, at 11:27 AM, Dmitry Gospodaryov wrote:

> I have the data arranged in table (in Excel, or Notepad):
>
> 	x	y
>
> 	0	100
> 	2	100
> 	4	80
> 	6	40
> 	8	0
>
> I need to transfer these data in R file and then going to
> operate with x and y as with variables. I should note, that I have
> 2.8.1 version. Thank you for advance.

Dmitry,

There is a complete R manual that describes how to get data into and
out of R, called R Data Import/Export. It is available within your R
distribution (if on Windows, via the R menus) or on the R web site at:

   http://cran.r-project.org/manuals.html

There is also a page on the R Wiki at:

   http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=tips:data-io:ms_windows

which specifically covers R and Windows/Excel data exchange.

A quick example, if the above is in Notepad, but with NO BLANK LINE
between the x and y labels and the data. You can highlight the text,
press CTRL-C to copy it to the clipboard and then use the following in
R (see ?read.table):

   DF <- read.table("clipboard", header = TRUE)

That will give you a 'data frame' in R that contains the two columns,
which can then be addressed as DF$x and DF$y. Further information is
available in the R manual An Introduction to R.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz