[R] R CMD INSTALL error, R-2.7.1

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Aug 1 20:55:13 CEST 2008

On 8/1/2008 12:39 PM, Richard Chandler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am getting the following error when using R CMD INSTALL ever since I
> upgraded to R-2.7.1:
>
> hhc: not found
> CHM compile failed: HTML Help Workshop not intalled?
>
> As indicated, the package is installed but without CHM help files. I
> have downloaded the latest version of Rtools and I have tried
> uninstalling and reinstalling HTML Help Workshop. I have also tried
> rebuilding the package several times. I was able to build and install
> the package without problems with R-2.7.0.

I believe that's a warning rather than an error, but what it indicates
is that your hhc help compiler is not on the current PATH.  If you just
type "hhc" at the same command line where you were running "R CMD
INSTALL", you should see

Usage:   hhc <filename>
     where <filename> = an HTML Help project file
Example: hhc myfile.hhp

but I'm guessing you'll see

hhc: not found

To fix this, edit the PATH, and make sure the directory holding hhc.exe
is on it.

Duncan Murdoch