[R] SVG format from any R graphic GUI?

Agustin Lobo Agustin.Lobo at ija.csic.es
Wed Apr 16 18:51:30 CEST 2008

Thanks for your answers, let me summarize the situation:

1. I've tested the SVG import for OO, it's not great
but it is much better than what you get for EMF. I know
nothing about SVG, though, perhaps it is not the
best graphics format.
2. I need the figure displayed on the screen, I'm using
Impress (the equivalent of ppt). Thus EPS is not an option,
3. I do not see any pdf import functionality in OO, I get it
as text and in OO writer. PDF is not listed among
the supported formats in Impress for inserting graphic files.
I did not try the development version of OO, perhaps this is
an alternative.

Agus

Marc Schwartz escribió:
> A reasonable question here might be, what do you intend to do with the
> SVG file, once you have it.  OO.org does not natively import SVG files
> and the only import filter that I am aware of for it:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/SVG_Import_Filter
>
> is an incomplete implementation. This means that your resultant graphic
> could end up 'brain damaged' after import.
>
> Not even OO.org 3.x, which is in development, will support this
> natively. Though they are adding PDF import functionality.
>
> Importing EPS graphs into OO.org works great and if you need a preview
> image, you can have one if you have the proper tools installed as Prof.
> Ripley notes. You can either do this from the command line or during the
> actual import process.  Just keep in mind that what you will see in the
> document is the bitmapped preview, not the vector based EPS image.
> OO.org, like MS Office, does not render EPS images.
>
> You of course also need to print the document to a PS compatible
> printer, lest you simply get the bitmapped preview image output. Same
> thing BTW, with the default PDF export functions in OO.org.
>
> HTH,
>
> Marc Schwartz
>
> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> R 2.7.0 RC has an svg() device on Unix-alikes, and there are
>> RSvgDevice and RSVGTipsDevice packages on CRAN.
>>
>> I've seen so many problems with SVG renderers (especially related to
>> fonts) that I would prefer not to rely on it.
>>
>> If this is Windows, the preferred route seems to be to use EPS with a
>> preview (which GSView can add for you).

>>> The figures format has nothing to do with the gui. It matters which
>>> devices are supported by your R platform on your system
>>> (Win/Linux/Mac?).
>>>
>>> A quick search on r-project.org pointed me to the Cairo package. Maybe
>>> you can try that.
>>>
>>> You will also have reasonable results using the png device/graphics.
>>>
>>> usually you do something like:
>>>
>>> png("myplot.png",width=500,height=500)
>>> plot(x,y)

--
Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
email: Agustin.Lobo at ija.csic.es
http://www.ija.csic.es/gt/obster