[R] SVG format from any R graphic GUI?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Wed Apr 16 18:18:52 CEST 2008

A reasonable question here might be, what do you intend to do with the
SVG file, once you have it.  OO.org does not natively import SVG files
and the only import filter that I am aware of for it:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/SVG_Import_Filter

is an incomplete implementation. This means that your resultant graphic
could end up 'brain damaged' after import.

Not even OO.org 3.x, which is in development, will support this
natively. Though they are adding PDF import functionality.

Importing EPS graphs into OO.org works great and if you need a preview
image, you can have one if you have the proper tools installed as Prof.
Ripley notes. You can either do this from the command line or during the
actual import process.  Just keep in mind that what you will see in the
document is the bitmapped preview, not the vector based EPS image.
OO.org, like MS Office, does not render EPS images.

You of course also need to print the document to a PS compatible
printer, lest you simply get the bitmapped preview image output. Same
thing BTW, with the default PDF export functions in OO.org.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz