[R] Help load a package into R

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Apr 11 12:19:11 CEST 2008

Paul Hiemstra wrote:
> Rasanga Ruwanthi wrote:
>
>> Dear R List,
>>
>> I want to download kinship_1.2_S.tar.gz in
[.....]

>>  From the website of the Mayo Clinic:
>>
>> """Although we realize that some will not have the expertise or perhaps
>> the software to do the compilation, particularly on Windows systems, we
>> do not have the time or the necessary equipment to provide binary
>> versions."""
>>
>> A .zip file in windows xp is a binary version where all the C-code has
>> already been compiled, .tar.gz files contain uncompiled code. To build
>> packages under windows the following link is a good start:
>>
>> http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/

Notice that the .tar.gz file on the Mayo site is for S-PLUS, not R (the
_S in the filename is the giveaway), which means that basically nothing
works the way we are used to for R packages. The directory names are
different, the documentation files are in SGML, not Rd, etc., and
getting things in whack for R is not a small undertaking. HOWEVER,
someone (Jing hua Zhao <jinghua.zhao at mrc-epid.cam.ac.uk>) already did
this for you and put the kinship package on  CRAN, from where you can
install it using the standard mechanisms.