[R] Help load a package into R

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Fri Apr 11 11:46:14 CEST 2008

Rasanga Ruwanthi wrote:
> Dear R List,
>
> I want to download kinship_1.2_S.tar.gz in http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/mayo/research/biostat/splusfunctions.cfm
> to R. Once save this file to C:\, how I could load into R? I am working in Windows XP. Usually what I do is, I go to "packages" and then "install packages from local zip files". This procedure fails for .tar.gz files. Can someone help here please....
>
> Thanks very much.
> Ruwanthi

Hi Ruwanthi,

 From the website of the Mayo Clinic:

"""Although we realize that some will not have the expertise or perhaps
the software to do the compilation, particularly on Windows systems, we
do not have the time or the necessary equipment to provide binary
versions."""

A .zip file in windows xp is a binary version where all the C-code has
already been compiled, .tar.gz files contain uncompiled code. To build
packages under windows the following link is a good start:

http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/

hope this helps,
Paul

--