[R] R memory limits and good memory management

Chad R. Bhatti bhatticr at tulane.edu
Sat Dec 15 20:52:44 CET 2007

Hello,

I am not fluent in computer hardware or software development so I will try
to be as precise as I can.  I am going to build some R routines to analyze
large intraday financial data sets.  For this project I think that I
need be concerned
about R memory limits and good memory management/practices.  The following
R help
page states that the limit on individual objects (a vector) is around 200
million elements.

http://sekhon.berkeley.edu/base/html/Memory-limits.html

What about data frames? And I suppose that I need to be aware of the
objects in the working memory (overwrite as many objects as possible)?

Note, I am new to the issue of good memory management.  Any specific
details on R memory and good practical advice are welcomed.

Thanks,

Chad R. Bhatti