[R] X11 uses font size 25 although 28 was requested

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sat Dec 15 19:41:13 CET 2007

Andre Jung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if the real English warning is the same. I translated it
> from German. R came up with the following message:

> Warning message:
> In title(main = sinc.exp) :
> X11 nutzt Schriftgröße 25 obwohl 28 angefordert war
> [engl.: X11 uses font size 25 although 28 was requested]
>
> system:
> R version 2.6.1 (2007-11-26)
> on openSuSE 10.3
> installed via YaST from
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/dsteuer/
> (provided by Detlef Steuer)
>
> any suggestions?

It's only a warning!

It usually means that your system is set up with non-scalable versions
of the adobe fonts, so that some fonts are substituted. This can be
considered a good thing: The fixed-size bitmap fonts have been carefully
designed for maximum legibility, whereas the scaled fonts look awful...
However, the former are only available in pixel sizes 8, 10, 11, 12, 14,
17, 18, 20, 24, 25, 34, if you install both the 75 dpi and  100dpi font
sets.