[R] Which Linux OS on Athlon amd64, to comfortably run R?

Ljubomir J. Buturovic ljubomir at sfsu.edu
Wed Dec 5 17:39:42 CET 2007

Hi Ottorino,

I have been using R on 64-bit Ubuntu for about a year without
problems, both Intel and AMD CPUs. Installing and using several
packages (e1071, svmpath, survival) also works. However, I had to
install R from source:

$ gunzip -c R-2.6.1.tar.gz | tar xvf -
$ cd R-2.6.1
$ ./configure --enable-R-shlib; make; make pdf
# make install; make install-pdf

Notice that `make install' has to be run as root.

I am using Feisty Fawn (Ubuntu 7.04), although I doubt that makes a
difference.

Hope this helps,

Ljubomir