[R] Which Linux OS on Athlon amd64, to comfortably run R?

Scionforbai scionforbai at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 17:17:58 CET 2007

> but unfortunately it did not work.

What did not work? Provide some information more...
By the way, isn't 'gfortran' the new GNU fortran compiler which
replaced 'g77'? Or not on Ubuntu?

> I immediately realize that an amd64 is not the right processor to make
> life easy.

??? Example of bad extrapolation ;)

> Should I install the i386 version of R ?

I assume you are talking about installing from source. You installed
the i386 version of Ubuntu? Then yes. Else no.

But rather let apt-get do it for you. Just install the binary provided
by the Ubuntu community. It is the best way to get things working and
avoid problems.

> Should I install another flavour of Linux ?

It depends. Ubuntu is good to start, and has the widest users base;
Archlinux my best choice (but you need to be already somewhat
advanced).

ScionForbai