[R] Which Linux OS on Athlon amd64, to comfortably run R?

Thibaut Jombart jombart at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Wed Dec 5 16:37:08 CET 2007

8rino-Luca Pantani wrote:

>Dear R-users.
>I eventually bought myself a new computer with the following
>characteristics:
>
>Processor AMD ATHLON 64 DUAL CORE 4000+ (socket AM2)
>Mother board ASR SK-AM2 2
>Ram Corsair Value 1 GB DDR2 800 Mhz
>Hard Disk WESTERN DIGITAL 160 GB SATA2 8MB
>
>I'm a newcomer to the Linux world.
>I started using it (Ubuntu 7.10 at work and FC4 on laptop) on a regular
>basis on May.
>I must say I'm quite comfortable with it, even if I have to re-learn a
>lot of things.  But this is not a problem, I will improve my knowledge
>with time.
>
>My main problem now, is that I installed Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon on the
>new one amd64.
>
>To install R on it i followed the directions found here
>http://help.nceas.ucsb.edu/index.php/Installing_R_on_Ubuntu
>
>but unfortunately it did not work.
>
>After reading some posts on the R-SIG-debian list, such as
>
>https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-debian/2007-October/000253.html
>
>I immediately realize that an amd64 is not the right processor to make
>life easy.
>
>Therefore I would like to know from you, how can I solve this problem:
>Should I install the i386 version of R ?
>Should I install another flavour of Linux ?
>Which one ?
>Fedora Core 7 ?
>Debian ?
>
>Thanks a lot, for any suggestion

Hi,

I've got an Athlon 64bits 3000+ processor and Ubuntu LTS (dapper)
installed (64 bits version) on my laptop. I do not have any problem to
install R from the sources, as long as the correct
libraries/compilers/etc. are installed. But it is no pain if you just
follow what the configure script tells you (and use apt-get to install
missing packages). I guess a common mistake is to forget to install
"-dev" versions of packages, which sometimes contain required headers.
However, you should not have troubles installing R on different R
distributions, 64bits or not.

Hope this help.

Thibaut, 64bit-linux-Ruser and still alive.

--
Thibaut JOMBART
jombart at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr
http://lbbe.univ-lyon1.fr/-Jombart-Thibaut-.html?lang=en