[R] Is it possible to create highly customized report in *.xls format by using R/S+?

Greg Snow greg.snow at ihc.com
Wed Jul 20 19:15:40 CEST 2005

When you are forced to use excel (but want to really use R and just
give the result to others in excel), then there are a few options
depending on what you are trying to do.  We may be able to give
better help if you can give a specific problem you are trying to
solve.

Some Ideas:

To quickly copy data from excel (highlight a region in excel and
choose
copy then:)

mydata <- read.delim(file('clipboard'))

to send a dataframe or matrix to excel:

write.table(mydata, file('clipboard'), sep="\t")
(now switch to excel, select a cell and choose paste).

You can also look at the RODBC package for other ways to transfer
information back and forth between R and excel.

For more complicated output you may want to look at the R2HTML package
or the LaTeX functions in Hmisc and other packages (then use a latex
rtf converter so you end users can read the output in word or copy it
over
to latex).

Another place to look
is:http://cran.us.r-project.org/contrib/extra/dcom/RSrv135.html

This has examples of building functions in excel that will take the
data from
excel, analyze it in R, then bring the results back to excel.

More detail on what you are trying to do would help us help you.

Greg Snow, Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center, LDS Hospital
Intermountain Health Care
greg.snow at ihc.com
(801) 408-8111

>>> Wensui Liu <liuwensui at gmail.com> 07/20/05 08:55AM >>>
I appreciate your reply and understand your point completely. But at
times we can't change the rule, the only choice is to follow the rule.
Most deliverables in my work are in excel format.