[R] Is it possible to create highly customized report in *.xlsformat by using R/S+?

Whit Armstrong whit at twinfieldscapital.com
Wed Jul 20 19:09:30 CEST 2005

It _does_ do formatting:

write.xls(x,"matrixFromR_formatted3.xls","matrix",formats=rep("#,##0.0;[
Red]#-##0.0;\"\"",nc))

And also writes multiple sheets to a workbook (I didn't post all the
examples).

I need those features for the reports I generate, but if the perl module
has the same features, then I'm happy to contribute to a solution for
Greg's package that would use perl instead.  The R -> C++ -> Java ->
file method is a huge pain.

On the other hand, there may be no reason to continue to work on this
project as MS has suggested that it will use xml formats for the next
version of office: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/03/_office_xml/

btw, here's the list of alternatives suggested by the POI team:
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/hssf/alternatives.html

fyi, here is the project homepage:
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/index.html

Thx,